FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Taking on Ocean Abyss Expert

<<

Anguirius

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Taking on Ocean Abyss Expert

Hello friends, I am back again. Thanks to everyone who gave advice with Barren Lands and Thorny Forest expert modes. It made things a lot more manageable.

Right now, I am in the midst of Ocean Abyss. Specifically, I am at OA-8. My main monsters are Levi (Thorn II), Gryph (Water Therapy), and Setanic (Sand Attack). I have some situational backups as well in Angelo (unnerve), Devil (Intimidate), and Clawpard (MF-II). So far, I've managed similar to the way I completed the latter stages of BL and TF - everyone running purple battle jelly and using rez cards at each hard boss.

I have plenty of rez cards, though am starting to get low on the jellies. For anyone who has completed OA expert, please post some strategies and monsters that helped you through. Especially, is there any good strategy to get around all the dodge-spamming on Blizzard levels?
<<

Anguirius

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: Taking on Ocean Abyss Expert

Just beat OA-8. The final boss battle ended up being a cakewalk, by far the easiest boss on the map. I actually went into it with Setanic already down, so it was pretty lucky both of the first two enemies were water (Bluegway and Cygness) instead of Electric.

I think the final two enemies are set with Purrfection and Psychoe. Levi managed to last just long enough to kill Bluegway and Cygness. At that point Angelo came in and neutered both Purrfection and Psychoe with Unnerve.

Here's hoping OA-9 goes well...
<<

CatchemAll

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:48 am

I managed to beat OA expert with mainly levi and arctica( a good claw will work just fine) it is just a place where you're gonna miss ALOT just stack up on res cards and jelly.
<<

Anguirius

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Missing multiple attacks really frustrates me, but I guess there's no alternative. I just finished OA-11. Because the weather could be changed, I would play a fun game with the bosses using Setanic. I would just have him cast sandstorm all 5 times in a row. Because the bosses are faster than him, they would always be trying to change the weather back to rain only to eat the sandstorm damage at the end of the turn. Still used up a handful of rez cards, but that trick meant the bosses basically started at 40% health.
<<

Anguirius

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:42 pm

So I've managed my way through OA-14 expert. 12 and 13 actually ended up much hard than 14. Dodging is a big reason for that (blizzard on OA-13), but 14 also seemed streamlined to be easier. With only two monsters at your disposal, that's something of a necessity. I managed to pass through with Gyphion and Setanic. With permanent Rain in place (easier to deal with since it doesn't damage or increase dodge) and a plethora of Electric enemies (3 straight Chimera mini-bosses), Setanic was the real MVP. Gryph with a POD was also strong enough to one-shot Rhors and eat up the psychic enemies.

Now on to OA-15. The map design is pretty straightforward. There 4 unavoidable mini-bosses (all one space after the last) before the big boss. With dice I could reach the first mini-boss after one normal battle as long as I'm ok with taking damage (poison stump square) and healing with jellies. Alternatively, I could hit two normal battles but pick up a random boost. The boost would only last, at maximum, for the 4 mini-bosses (and likely only one or two given the need to revive).

As of now, I'm looking to head in with a team of Leviathan (Thorn II), Clawpard (MF-II), Angelo (Unnerve), and Gryphion (Rain Therapy - might change as I have a couple rune gems).
<<

Anguirius

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Success! 5 rez cards, 6 purple jellies, 10 super potions, and 8 purple combat jellies later - Ocean Abyss has been conquered. I did get a little lucky with the dodge rate this time. I probably hit 75% of my attacks on water/ice monsters, which is well above expectation in a blizzard. That said, it was still pretty tough. I was losing half my team on every mini-boss, forcing me to rez after the next battle.

Two things that really came in handy: Curse and Unnerve. Curse is pretty obvious, it is the most damaging status you can inflict, and is easily the best way to do damage on certain enemies (Levi and Arctica). Those two have such high defenses, have high dodge ratings, and are so much higher level than your mons, that it's almost unfair. Landing a Curse solves all of that. I ended up with Curse on Levi and Clawpard. Levi could cast POD and Curse and still survive 3 more rounds in many cases. Clawpard was more of a grenade. I would bring him in, have him set up a Curse, then just expect him to die (I didn't have a POD for him).

Unnerve was a pretty interesting case. The enemy types tended towards MATT (Ice/Ghost), Phys with lesser attacks (Water - Water Bombs being Phys), or Phys with bad types (Rock). Levi ate up the Rock mons, and Gryph neutralized the Water mons. Then there was old, reliable Angelo. Angelo could barely hit anything and did minimal damage at best. But, dropping in with Unnerve against multiple Ice/Ghost mons was an absolute lifesaver, allowing the better monsters to set up POD or just survive until Curse did it's job. I tended to leave Angelo as a reserve to start, then swap her in and out until all the opponents were Unnerved or she died. Facing off against lvl 70+ Fenrir and Arctica each with Aurora Borealis +6, Unnerve was amazingly effective.
<<

Bullhead81

Warlord

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:25 am

Anguirius wrote:Success! 5 rez cards, 6 purple jellies, 10 super potions, and 8 purple combat jellies later - Ocean Abyss has been conquered. I did get a little lucky with the dodge rate this time. I probably hit 75% of my attacks on water/ice monsters, which is well above expectation in a blizzard. That said, it was still pretty tough. I was losing half my team on every mini-boss, forcing me to rez after the next battle.

Two things that really came in handy: Curse and Unnerve. Curse is pretty obvious, it is the most damaging status you can inflict, and is easily the best way to do damage on certain enemies (Levi and Arctica). Those two have such high defenses, have high dodge ratings, and are so much higher level than your mons, that it's almost unfair. Landing a Curse solves all of that. I ended up with Curse on Levi and Clawpard. Levi could cast POD and Curse and still survive 3 more rounds in many cases. Clawpard was more of a grenade. I would bring him in, have him set up a Curse, then just expect him to die (I didn't have a POD for him).

Unnerve was a pretty interesting case. The enemy types tended towards MATT (Ice/Ghost), Phys with lesser attacks (Water - Water Bombs being Phys), or Phys with bad types (Rock). Levi ate up the Rock mons, and Gryph neutralized the Water mons. Then there was old, reliable Angelo. Angelo could barely hit anything and did minimal damage at best. But, dropping in with Unnerve against multiple Ice/Ghost mons was an absolute lifesaver, allowing the better monsters to set up POD or just survive until Curse did it's job. I tended to leave Angelo as a reserve to start, then swap her in and out until all the opponents were Unnerved or she died. Facing off against lvl 70+ Fenrir and Arctica each with Aurora Borealis +6, Unnerve was amazingly effective.

Congrats!! I haven't played this HM version in a long time, but I was stopped on OA-15. I tried using my Fenrirs, Hydras, Levi's, anything I could try really,, with no luck. I don't have any good psychic mobs, and only meniss for Ghost. I have a pair of Angelo but never bred them or anything to try for unnerve. But I like to see your thought in trying that and curse, back when i was trying BL expert I wound up bringing an Iggy with intimidate so the Minos wouldnt hurt so bad.. worked out for me eventually..
I had every OEL except Baha and Peg.
Good job!! good luck on the next map!!

Signature design by Stavey
<<

Anguirius

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Bullhead81 wrote:Congrats!! I haven't played this HM version in a long time, but I was stopped on OA-15. I tried using my Fenrirs, Hydras, Levi's, anything I could try really,, with no luck. I don't have any good psychic mobs, and only meniss for Ghost. I have a pair of Angelo but never bred them or anything to try for unnerve. But I like to see your thought in trying that and curse, back when i was trying BL expert I wound up bringing an Iggy with intimidate so the Minos wouldnt hurt so bad.. worked out for me eventually..
I had every OEL except Baha and Peg.
Good job!! good luck on the next map!!

Thanks, Bullhead! I am going to take a week or two to train up my new baby Sphierx, then forge on to Deadly Desert. All I know so far is that DD-1 has rain and only two monsters are allowed. I'm thinking I'll head in with Gryph and Setanic.
<<

dggamer

Baron

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 am

I remember using curse and unnerve when i did it ages ago probably the best stratedgy when tackling OA as a whole. Congrats on finishing it :)
YouTube channel: MattsGaMeS65 (haypi videos)
Level40 originally from server 1000.

Return to General Discussion