FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The Subtle Art of Leading an Alliance

<<

blckiechan

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 am

The Subtle Art of Leading an Alliance

First off, disclaimer: This is my view on some key points of running an alliance, your mileage may vary. You will obviously need to adjust this to your leadership style, people in your alliance, and the server environment you are on.

Why run an alliance?

Alot of people start an alliance without thinking about why they would even want to start one in the first place. This should be your first and only thought before you commit 2k of money to this. Here are the cons:

1) You have to stop being selfish. You have to share things you don't need to set an example and get your alliance to help each other.

2) You have to actually talk in AC, no just logging in and playing silently.

3) You have to write letters to your alliance and on behalf of your alliance (war notes, members miss behaving, etc.)

4) You have to spend time guiding the alliance (ie logging on alot)

If you don't want to do any of those things, stop reading now, you should not run an alliance. If you are in a good alliance and don't want to do those things, you shouldn't be vice either.

If you are still here then...

Advertising

I won't go to much into this, as you can put your spin on how to advertise, but make sure your alliance name is very clear, a small note is good for why people should join, and make sure you advertise your level restrictions.

Starting off on the right foot

You need to have some goals in mind for your alliance as you start. Do you want to be an aggressive alliance? Do you want to be a top ranked alliance? Is your alliance mostly social? Are you for casual or hardcore gamers?

Make these decisions before you start and don't feel bashful about writing an alliance letter to tell people what you are all about once they join. Your goals should be clear, and you should let people know your rules for conduct (like let's say no sub stealing as an example).

Alliance letters are an important part of getting messages to everyone fast. I also put alot of vice mails as alliance letters to make people aware of things that are going on.

Its a game so have fun and let everyone in on the fun.

Keeping an ACTIVE alliance

Alliances die fast that don't have active members. Everyone hates level caps, but it is one of the most effective ways to ensure that your alliance is still alive. A level 2 active player is better than a level 15 inactive player!

You can also use level caps as a means to coerce people into getting into AC. A simple,
"On Jan 19th all members will be removed from the alliance that are not level 3 and above, or that are not active in AC"
will do wonders to get people talking.

Remember point 1, you need people helping each other to make an alliance build loyalty and cohesion. Without that cohesion, people will defect, stop logging in, or just focus on themselves.

Use every opportunity to build your alliance up and make people become friends.

Vices

I see this all the time,
"Join my alliance and you will be a vice!"
If you see that, don't join that alliance. Why? Vices are an extension of you and that should not be taken lightly.

Vices can wreck havoc on your alliance. They get some assumed respect, and if they are bad people that don't fit your goals, people will leave. They also have the power to communicate via alliance letters. This can mean they can pass wrong messages which can lead to confusion and people leaving. Lastly, they have the power to kick people from alliances. I've seen 2 alliances basically disband because a spy got in and booted the entire alliance.

Vices should earn respect organically, be on as much or more as you, and fit with your goals. This way, as a member of your alliance, people feel like you are always on. People stay and communicate more in this type of environment.

Managing your Vices

Vices need to be encouraged to use the same tools you use. If you have a message they can't possibly mess up writing, ask them to do it. If you need to boot someone, have them do it. If you are recruiting, have them advertise and accept the members.

You need to get them used to using the tools, and, more importantly, used to having your delegation on specific matters. If you don't, they will be unable to manage when you are not on, and people will leave or your alliance will die.

Next, send a vice letter to new vices saying what to watch for and what they cannot do (like start a full scale war with another alliance). You need to ensure whatever you'd prefer making the decision is known up front to reduce errors and make the alliance run smoothly.

Finally, you need to make sure your vices are active members. Don't be afraid to bump a vice down to make room for another more active member. I would send a letter to the vice before you do it. Some people get upset with a demotion.

Final thoughts

I could go on forever on how to battle command, get allies, etc. but then I'd probably be moving away from a guide and onto running your alliance!

Always remember the 4 keys to what you have to do to run an alliance, and you should do well. Again, your mileage may vary on how to approach your specific alliance, but think about what you do before you do it.

A consistent, fair leader will always gain the respect of his members and that cohesion you build will let you accomplish whatever goals you set forward for your alliance to complete.

Thanks,

Blackie Chan
Server 38!
<<

~keorie~

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: The Subtle Art of Leading an Alliance

Thanks for this post I run an alliance and I am having problems getting people active I have already had some people quit because alot of people don't get on ac and I have been wondering how to deal with it
keorie s50
~keorie~ s58
<<

blckiechan

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

No problem, hope it helps. If you have some questions post em here, I and others might be able to help.
<<

DuskFall

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm

I dont no wat 2 say but even do im already running one and amnt really taking this to mind im taking it to heart nice one blackie
S110ChocChimp=inactive
S61DuskFall=inactive
S76DuskFa!!=inactive
S77DuskFall77=inactive
S78DuskFall78=active
()===()=================>
<=================()===()
Dont worry, be happy!!!
<<

SkyDreamer

Lord

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:49 am

I do all of those things :D
lol the most important thing for an alliance is to talk in alliance chat in my opinion, it keeps the alliance close together :D and also group attacking someone who attacked one of our members is fun too :twisted:

I do think though that you should only set level restrictions once you have 40+ members, and for the different kinds of alliances:

The Group alliance- Ideal people would be ones that are active in world chat, not necessarily high levels but friendly members that don't bash or cuss in world chat. The best alliance in my opinion for casual people and the type of alliance that I lead. :D democratic and sometimes group attacks a member that attacked one of them. :twisted: that's what my alliance does, anyways. :P
The Rank Alliance - Ideally high levels, usually having a sub alliance once full, an alliance that tries to get high ranked. I don't recommend leading this kind of alliance because I know an alliance ranked 5th that has angry ex-members in world chat a lot that were kicked for no reason. Sometimes group attacks a member that attacked them, not friendly a lot of the time, sometimes seems as if they want your wallet (prestige) :oops:

Will probably add in more later but I have to go soon. :| hope this helps :D
SkyDreamer - Retired Expert s59 (115) + 82

~Tease~
<<

Link209

Conqueror

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 am

Great guide!
Lurking. Send me a pm if ya want to talk :)

Thunderball
Need help? Click Here

Haypi Fish Beginners FAQ/Guide
<<

Goldlegion

Beginner

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 am

Thinking about making one on a dif server. This guide will really help me thank you. I really like how you talked about keeping AC active.
Goldlegion s110-active on forums
<<

MystykStar

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:05 am

I also run an Alliance and haven't been as active with it as I should be.
Thanks for the guide, that was helpful :)
~★~

Return to Haypi Guides